Friday, September 28, 2007

And while we're NOT on the topic . . . .

Something completely different.

A couple of indications why large corporations are sooooooo over in the US.

First, I requested and received a trial issue of the new business magazine, Portfolio, and it arrived along with an invoice. Now, Portfolio is one of those GLOSSY, CELEBRITY ROCK STAR HEDGE FUND-types of magazines where the subjects of the articles "earn" millions of dollars annually ("earn" is such a disingenuous word to describe these titans of industry).

So anyway, received my trial issue and looked through it and was undecided about whether to go ahead and subscribe or not. Some of the articles have turned out to be OFF-THE-MARK quite abit since the latest round of sub-prime housing collapses. You know, it's okay to be wrong about some minor things if the end result is all good, but to be wrong from beginning to end, ummmm, that's not ok.

And while I'm deciding, I get a second invoice from the Portfolio magazine, saying payment is now past due on my TRIAL ISSUE, and if I don't pay up, then they may have to turn me over to a collection agency. For a magazine. On my TRIAL ISSUE, no less. Hehehe. What a bunch of morons!!! Care to guess what my decision ended up being? C-A-N-C-E-L. Being wrong on what you're writing about and then trying to scare me into paying up. . . . . uh, sure. Once again. Let me reiterate . . . . MORONS!

On the other hand, here's an example of how to do it correctly. I asked for a trial issue of Yes! magazine. They sent an invoice and a week later the magazine arrived. "Send us payment if you like the magazine and wish to subscribe". That's it. No second letter. Nothing other than "try our magazine and if you like it, we'd be happy to have you as a customer". End of story. I think I might subscribe to their magazine. Oh, and btw, their articles are well written and accurate too.


See what's wrong with big corporations today. The future in the U.S. is NOT multinational corporations who have processed everything until there's very little interaction between the customer and the organization. It's smaller companies with a personal touch for their customers and who use a little bit of good judgement as well as good business sense.


Second, everyone knows about lists, right? Once a list is made it's usually out-of-date soon afterwards. Why? Because things change. And this is more true than ever when it comes to database marketing lists. Which are SOLD from one company to another. With personal information (name, address, etc). Without permission.

So imagine my amusement this week when old Granddad gets a letter at the old homestead from some company trying to sell something. See, old Granddad has been dead for twenty-plus years. But to the company that bought that mailing list, well, they've won the MORON OF THE WEEK award. They paid for a seriously out-of-date list, and then they paid postage to mail those advertisements. And they'll be getting them returned too. Once again, congratulations to the MORONS of the week.


Btw, Lands End keeps me on their mailing list for catalogs. I like Lands End, but I haven't bought anything from them for about twenty years. Still, I get their catalogs....which go straight to the trash can....to be burned. You'd think companies would figure out with all their high tech whatsis and whosis, that they're losing money on postage if people haven't bought anything in awhile. But, they're the smart ones, aren't they.


We now return you now to your regularly scheduled programming.

No comments: